[SML] Problem with I-Que on Element Desk

Bruce bruce at ledworklights.com
Wed Jun 21 21:36:36 UTC 2017

On Wednesday, June 21, 2017 1:44:06 PM CDT, Bill Nelson via Stagecraft
wrote:
>> Hi Barry! I'm glad it helped!
>>
>> Can anyone explain why RDM would mess with non-RDM devices?
>> I've not found
>> a good explanation for it.
>
> Non-RDM devices should ignore frames with the RDM start code (0xCC).
>
> It also does not explain why only some of his I-Ques were affected and why
> they all worked for some time before the problem surfaced.

I expect it has to do with increasing the apparent data rate.  RDM injects
packets between standard DMX packets, thus increasing the on-the-wire data
rate.  Some transceivers, as they age, for some reason are unable to handle
the same data rate as they initially were [I have theories about why this
happens, but as I have no data to support, will keep them to myself].  So,
turning off RDM reduces the on-the-wire data rate, and the transceivers go
back to happy.

It's a thought...

:Bruce Cooper
--