[SML] Titles

Dave Vick dave.vick at gmail.com
Fri Jun 23 03:47:17 UTC 2017

On Wed, Jun 21, 2017 at 3:06 PM, Bill Nelson via Stagecraft
<stagecraft at theatrical.net> wrote:

>> Note: If someone is designated as a 'Director', then any over-hire or
>> occasional workers MUST be carried on the books as 'EMPLOYEES' and not
>> 'Independent Contractors'. Someone 'working under the direction of someone
>> else' is, by definition, an EMPLOYEE for Workers Compensation, FICA, FUTA,
>> SDI, Social Security, and other purposes, so the title chosen may effect
>> the tax and other liabilities of your organization.
>
> I don't think titles matter that much. What DOES matter is how tasks are
> assigned and supervised.
> If the task work schedule/hours etc are determined by a company employee, then
> the person assigned the task must be classified as an employee.
> If a task is assigned and the work schedule/hours are left to the person
> assigned the task, that person may be classified as either an employee or a
> contractor.

Nope.

If the entity that pays you handles the worker's comp insurance and
various tax witholdings, you're an Employee.
If they don't, and leave you to self-insure and self-withhold, you're
a Subcontractor.

It doesn't matter a sideways fart who calls who a "Director" or who
assigns and/or supervises. It's all about the money. End of story.

--
Dave Vick
[*this space for rent*]