[SML] Dutch manning Flats

Scott C. Parker scparker at gmail.com
Thu Mar 2 19:35:19 UTC 2017

Steve, fantastic! One thing, I've been know to use watered down base paint
in place of the thinned white glue. Use the same base color and you're
ahead a step.

On Thu, Mar 2, 2017 at 8:00 AM, Stephen Rees via Stagecraft <
stagecraft at theatrical.net> wrote:

> To expand on Scott's comment, the lightweight unbleached 100% cotton
> muslin strip should be TORN to about 4" - 5" wide (traditionally that would
> cover a 2" backflip hinge) and then "feather" the edges of the goods by
> pulling out warp threads until you have about 1/4" of "fringe".  Apply to
> the primed flattage by putting down a coat of thinned white glue and then
> pressing the dutchman onto the surface while gently pulling it along the
> length to ease out big wrinkles.  As you go along, using the same thinned
> white glue, brush a coat on top of the dutchman being carful to work the
> fringe out to either side of the goods.  Allow to shrink dry well,
> hopefully overnight.  Apply your base and finish coats of paint on top of
> the flattage and by the time you're done with that, the dutchman should be
> virtually invisible.  This works real well if you have a highly textured
> pattern on the units.  Don't use straight glue a you'll never get the
> dutchman off without destroying the individual flats. Good luck.
> SER
>
> Stephen E. Rees
> RAC Addition Project Shepherd
> State University of New York at Fredonia
> 716.680.1565 <(716)%20680-1565> Mobile
>

> On Wed, Mar 1, 2017 at 7:12 PM, Scott C. Parker via Stagecraft <
> stagecraft at theatrical.net> wrote:
>
>> Strips of muslin is the way to go.
>>
>> Scott
>>
>> On Wed, Mar 1, 2017 at 5:26 PM, John Taylor via Stagecraft <
>> stagecraft at theatrical.net> wrote:
>>
>>> Greetings Listers,
>>>
>>> What are you using these days for dutch manning flats? We use to use
>>> book binding tape. We would cut to size and dip in the water bucket put it
>>> on, let dry and paint. Great results. Come strike time, tape peels right
>>> off and all done nice and clean.
>>>
>>> Somewhere along the way over the last few years, they started use all
>>> other sorts of tape with very mixed to poor results. Recently the painters
>>> started using Gaff tape but that is just to expensive. I just Googled the
>>> book tape and there are many choices. So I wanted to see what others are
>>> using.
>>>
>>> We are a community theatre and while we have great record keeping I can
>>> not find the company or type of book tape we use to use.
>>>
>>> Many thanks,
>>>
>>> John 'JT' Taylor
>>> Kirkwood Theatre Guild
>>> St Louis, MO

>> --
>> Thanks,
>> Scott
>>
>> Scott C. Parker
>> Lighting Designer http://scpld.com/ Studio 212-533-3430
>> <(212)%20533-3430>  Cell 718-757-6661 <(718)%20757-6661>
>> http://twitter.com/stageseminars   https://www.linkedin.com/
>> in/lightingdesigner
>> USA829, IES, PLASA, USITT, ETCP certified Rigger & Electrician

Thanks,
Scott

Scott C. Parker
Lighting Designer http://scpld.com/ Studio 212-533-3430  Cell 718-757-6661