[SML] Dutch manning Flats

Scott C. Parker scparker at gmail.com
Fri Mar 3 04:23:07 UTC 2017

Timing is everything. I posted this dutchman page exactly 10 years ago
today. By no means is it a great post about dutchman, but... Funny that
it's ten years to the day. The photos are actually around 20 years old.
http://hstech.org/how-to-s/how-to-tech/carpentry/175-dutchman-flat

On Thu, Mar 2, 2017 at 10:59 PM, Stephen Rees via Stagecraft <
stagecraft at theatrical.net> wrote:

> Plus 1 to Tom's allowing curing of all steps. You'll be buggered otherwise.
> Steve
>
> Stephen E. Rees
> RAC Addition Project Shepherd
> State University of New York at Fredonia
> 716.680.1565 <(716)%20680-1565> Mobile
>

> On Thu, Mar 2, 2017 at 5:00 PM, Tom Grabowski via Stagecraft <
> stagecraft at theatrical.net> wrote:
>
>> To expand a bit more on Steve's and Scott's information, I recommend
>> also to use paint as the adhesive for the fabric.  I would also save
>> and reuse the dutchman if i were applying it to a seam of flats that
>> already have several coats of old paint on their faces.  I would still
>> rerip and fray the edges of the dutchman. So fresh muslin for newly
>> covered flats and painted dutchman for already painted flats.  Rolled
>> like bandages, dry overnight.  Prime and then base color.  Any time I
>> tried to rush any of the steps, especially the drying time, it would
>> bite me in the butt and look bad.
>>
>> __
>> Tom Grabowski
>> SUNY Potsdam
>>

>> Subject: Re: [SML] Dutch manning Flats
>>
>> This may have been implied with Steve's instructions.  We used to roll
>> up the Dutchman strip and unroll it as we applied to to the flat.
>>
>> On Mar 2, 2017, at 2:36 PM, Scott C. Parker via Stagecraft
>> <stagecraft at theatrical.net<mailto:stagecraft at theatrical.net>> wrote:
>>
>> Steve, fantastic! One thing, I've been know to use watered down base
>> paint in place of the thinned white glue. Use the same base color and
>> you're ahead a step.
>>
>> On Thu, Mar 2, 2017 at 8:00 AM, Stephen Rees via Stagecraft
>> <stagecraft at theatrical.net<mailto:stagecraft at theatrical.net>> wrote:
>> To expand on Scott's comment, the lightweight unbleached 100% cotton
>> muslin strip should be TORN to about 4" - 5" wide (traditionally that
>> would cover a 2" backflip hinge) and then "feather" the edges of the
>> goods by pulling out warp threads until you have about 1/4" of
>> "fringe".  Apply to the primed flattage by putting down a coat of
>> thinned white glue and then pressing the dutchman onto the surface
>> while gently pulling it along the length to ease out big wrinkles.  As
>> you go along, using the same thinned white glue, brush a coat on top
>> of the dutchman being carful to work the fringe out to either side of
>> the goods.  Allow to shrink dry well, hopefully overnight.  Apply your
>> base and finish coats of paint on top of the flattage and by the time
>> you're done with that, the dutchman should be virtually invisible.
>> This works real well if you have a highly textured pattern on the
>> units.  Don't use straight glue a you'll never get the dutchman off
>> without destroying the individua!
>>  l flats. Good luck.
>> SER
>>
>> Stephen E. Rees
>> RAC Addition Project Shepherd
>> State University of New York at Fredonia
>> 716.366.0505<tel:(716)%20366-0505> Home
> [...]

Thanks,
Scott

Scott C. Parker
Lighting Designer http://scpld.com/ Studio 212-533-3430  Cell 718-757-6661
http://twitter.com/stageseminars
https://www.linkedin.com/in/lightingdesigner
USA829, IES, PLASA, USITT, ETCP certified Rigger & Electrician