[SML] Anyone use VR in the (technical theatre) classroom?

Jon Ares jonares at arescreative.com
Sat Mar 25 15:05:21 UTC 2017

Hi folks... just wanted to share something a student did in class this
week, as we played with VR and Tilt Brush, specifically.  No one in
the class had ever used Tilt Brush, nor had anyone ever "created"
anything in VR. (I think a couple had experience with some games in
VR.)

On the first day, each student pretty much just drew/painted swirlies,
sparklies, blobs and such.... just playing and getting a feel for it.
But one student, who has never worn VR headgear, or done anything like
this, got right to work, and "designed" a Disney-esque gown on her
very first try.  The class was mesmerized.  I have the video here:
https://youtu.be/4-ZYPL7Wemg

The "sketch" was saved, and when re-loaded in Tilt Brush, it replays
every stroke, which was a cool surprise.  It plays back every stroke,
as you walk around it and observe from all sides.

As Maria was creating it, someone suggested she "put on" the dress,
and she did: she stepped into it, and was able to continue painting,
while wearing it.  Very interesting perspective from a designer's or
stitcher's perspective!

--
Jon Ares
www.arescreative.com