[SML] Intercom Options

Jon Ares jonares at arescreative.com
Wed May 3 14:52:03 UTC 2017

On Tue, May 2, 2017 at 4:44 AM, Alexander Taylor (Mailing List) via
Stagecraft <stagecraft at theatrical.net> wrote:
> I’m investigating replacing our intercom system (524 seat processing theater in a High School).  Ever since the room was built in 2004, the intercom has been prone to lots of noises and other issues.  We currently have the Telex Audiocom system with about a dozen packs.  I’m looking for suggestions (maybe even out of the box) for an updated system.
>
> I’d love to go with something like the GreenGo boxes, but that’s a bit out of my price range.  Recently I’ve been considering using a Mumble client/server model with Raspberry PIs in beltpacks - has anyone else done that?  Should I just repair/expand my existing system?  What do people recommend?

Maybe scratch the wired system completely? We've also got a Telex
system in our space (wired) - and Eartec wireless, plus the
wired-to-wireless bridge.... works pretty well, actually, but the
pops, hiss, squwaks we get on the system have something to do with the
wired Telex system... when we decouple the bridge, the wireless sets
are clean.  So.... maybe go exclusively wireless, or do the hybrid
solution, if you really need more than 8 headsets.  (The Eartec maxes
out at 8. They might have ways to bridge two wireless systems for
more; I don't know.)

 - Jon

--
Jon Ares