[SML] performers working at heights- harnesses, tethers, and anchors

Jeffrey Kanyuck JKanyuck at Harford.edu
Wed May 10 16:54:25 UTC 2017

Ben,
     Take this with a huge grain of salt.
     My understanding of this is that you have to have rails on all stairs and platforms through initial training or any day a person works above 24" for more than 15 minutes.... UNTIL that person is fully familiar with the area for special situations/occasions (such as specially designed sets people have to perform on)  then, the handrails can be taken off. This can depend on the persons using the area and how quick they are at adapting to spaces. However, they are supposed to be able to be put back in place until the next time they are used by persons familiar with the area.
Jeff

-----Original Message-----
From: Stagecraft [mailto:stagecraft-bounces at theatrical.net] On Behalf Of Ben Thoron SML via Stagecraft
Sent: Tuesday, May 09, 2017 5:31 PM
To: Stagecraft
Cc: Ben Thoron SML
Subject: [SML] performers working at heights- harnesses, tethers, and anchors

I have two actors blocked to move about an elevated platform with no railings on the downstage side (20' high).

What are best practices and effective solutions for harnesses, tethers and anchor points?

I am aware of the OSHA standards, but would like to hear some real stories of effective implementation.

Thanks

Ben Thoron
bthoron at theoldglobe.org