[SML] Opinions on Strand C21 dimmers?

Riter, Andrew andrew.riter at ubc.ca
Tue May 23 19:56:30 UTC 2017

My venue (3 spaces, 3 dimmer rooms, 6 racks total, 1997 install) came with Strand CD 80 Supervisor racks.

5+ years ago we replaced all the brains to the C21 system.

We bought 7 (6 plus 1 spare processor and full drawer unit).

Once installed, the processors have been solid. That being said, of the 7 units, 2 or 3 units shipped from the factory in a failed state.  Units replaced quickly, but wasn’t encouraging.  But again, once they got working they’ve been fine.

I choose these over the Johnson system retrofit kits due to the programming options which I wanted (not all of which were supported by Johnson).

I can’t speak for the quality of the dimmer modules, since I’m still running (happily) the 20year modules of the CD80 variety.  But generally the Strand Dimmers are bullet proof.

But I will say, buy more modules than you need, of every flavour.  I have a few non-dim contactors left, and am looking to expanding my LED collection, but need to consider the non-dim inventory.

Whatever brand you do buy, buy an extra of everything.  While ETC may keep a stock of parts to service their electronics for decades, Strand hasn’t.  That’s why I was forced to upgrade:  fear of losing a rack due a (reasonable) component failure, and that component not being manufactured by _______ anymore.  (Strand couldn’t supply parts anymore).  Electronics have come a long way since then, and will continue to go a long way in the future.

Good Luck.

Andrew M. Riter
Assistant Technical Director, Head Lighting Technician
Chan Centre for the Performing Arts

604-822-2372
andrew.riter at ubc.ca<mailto:andrew.riter at ubc.ca>