[SML] Tumbeweed

Pat Kight kightp at peak.org
Fri May 26 19:30:15 UTC 2017

Ross via Stagecraft wrote:
> Hello all,  I am currently working on the production of “Johnny
> Gitaure” (or how ever it is spelled).  The director want some tumble
> weeds at some point in the show.  Does anyone have an idea of how to
> build one?  Being in Iowa, a road trip to AZ is nice, but not in the
> budget.
Buy an artificial topiary, cut off the foliage balls, pull/clip off some
of the greenery to make it scraggly and hit it with some grey/brown
paint tones?
https://www.wayfair.com/Zingz-and-Thingz-Round-Tapered-Faux-Topiary-in-Urn-ZNGZ3777.html
for instance. These should be fireproof, but you'd want to test it and
treat if necessary.

Alternately, google "large willow ball" to find a bunch of decorative
balls woven from willow, wicker, etc. For instance:
http://www.save-on-crafts.com/mossballs1.html. Weave in some dried or
fake grasses, bits of raffia, etc. for a more authentic look.

If you're really ambitious or have too much time on your hands, you
could buy willow branches or wicker and weave your own, but the
purpose-made ones are fairly inexpensive.
--
Pat Kight
kightp at peak.org