[SML] Theatre Budget Help

sdwheaton sdwheaton at fuse.net
Sat Nov 18 23:31:54 UTC 2017

Do you get to pick the shows?  I suggest, Our Town, Waiting for Godot, The Fantastics,   set costs are low, costumes can be contemporary.   Maybe Agnes of God paired with Nunsense or Sound of Music , once you build the nun suits...use 'em...Lots of good 2-4 person shows, saves a bunch on costumes...
Stuart.

Sent from my T-Mobile 4G LTE Device-------- Original message --------From: "Miller, Daniel via Stagecraft" <stagecraft at theatrical.net> Date: 11/18/2017  9:59 AM  (GMT-05:00) To: stagecraft at theatrical.net Cc: "Miller, Daniel" <DaMiller at dwu.edu> Subject: [SML] Theatre Budget Help

Again, I am asking for your help.

I am a one person department in a small university in the upper plains. We have just been given an amazing new theatre facility in which we can do our three to four shows a year. Including the ‘big’ musical. However, the budget I have for
 these shows is ridiculous and I am trying to explain to my administration that the money is not enough for what they expect from me and the department. I should also mention that I do not have any other money allocated to me except for the show budgets and
 a travel budget for my students and I. The budget below is ‘all’ the money I receive each academic year.

Can you please share what your typical budget is for a straight show and a musical and other needs? It would be greatly appreciated in my efforts to get admin to understand.

In addition, if I am way off here and these budgets look good to you, please tell me. I need to know.

This is our ‘total’ yearly budget…..
Show #1 - $3500
Show #2 - $3500
Musical - $10,000
Travel $1500

This is all the money I receive each academic year. This is basically the amount I have had to work with for the last twelve years. I need your input.

Thanks,

Dan

Daniel L. Miller, M.F.A.
Director of Theatre
Associate Professor of Theatre
1200 W. University Ave. / Mitchell, SD / 57301
605-995-2710 (o) 605-290-0641 (c) /
www.dwu.edu

Input / Responsibility / Relator / Intellection / Achiever