[SML] ​Re: Theatre Budget Help (Tracy Nunnally)

Tracy Nunnally tracy at flyingfx.com
Sun Nov 19 05:45:40 UTC 2017

Hi Dan

Working at a university myself, I can tell you that one good trick to help
the admins figure out where they can get the money from.

Cultivating a rich donor to put up an endowment works great.  I know some
schools who have endowed productions, such as the "John A. Smith Spring
Musical", where the budget comes from the interest on a $10-12 million
dollar account.

Another way might be to ask the university to include an arts fee for all
students?  I bet that part of their annual activity fee covers supplies and
facilities for the sports teams, so why not the "theatre team?"  Try
something along the lines of, "Why should the hopes and dreams of my
theatre students not be supported equally by activity fees just because
they put on pointe shoes or steel toed boots instead of a pair of cleats?"
Hypothetically, if your university had an enrollment of 900 students, and
they were paying a $330 annual activity fee, increasing that by $20 would
give the program an additional $18,000 annually.

Just sayin'.

*Tracy Nunnally*
​rofessor / TD / Head of Design Technology
Northern Illinois University School of Theatre and Dance
Email: tnunnally at niu.edu
Office: (815)-753-5829

​
Owner