[SML] SML] FOH hang and focus safety improvement needed

Duncan Mahoney dmahoney at usc.edu
Mon Nov 20 05:38:24 UTC 2017

Bill asks:

<snip>

How about a better ladder?

For the first decade of my professional career, I focused lights from extension ladders as you describe, but without hooks.  In one of the theaters there was a pipe about 25' from the floor and 6" from the underside of the roof, and that required the really big and heavy extension ladder.  It took 3 people to do the dance of "extend the ladder up, lean against pipe, slide back a little, extend up a little, ...until the hooks latched, and then slide forward to wedge the ladder between the floor and roof.  I was usually working alone, maybe with 1 helper, so I would recruit anyone else in the building to help with setting the ladder up, and footing it while I was working.  And of course, when focusing I had to move the ladder along the pipe, every 8 feet there was a block and we had to lower the ladder then extend it back up to get around it.  One day my recruit happened to be a long-time volunteer, and when we were finished she asked "Isn't there a better ladder for that job?"  I replied " Yes, the Little Giant MXZ 21 ladder would be much safer and easier, but it costs too much (about $850 + freight now) and we can't afford it"  Within a month she had donated the ladder to the theater. I am still grateful, even though it's been 25 years and a couple theaters ago.

The MXZ 21 is made to be set up with unequal side lengths for using over seating or on slopes.  While quite heavy, it can be set up and moved around by one (strong) person on a flat floor, but setting it up with unequal side lengths and carrying it into the seating rows is best done with 2 or more people.  It is a double sided ladder, so either side can be used.  It is an aluminium ladder though, which may be a deal breaker for focusing lighting in some circumstances.   I was pretty fanatical about all the equipment and cables being properly grounded, so I didn't worry much, I just enjoyed the stability of that lovely new stepladder.

Duncan Mahoney
Head of Technical Direction
Associate Professor of Theatre Practice
University of Southern California School of Dramatic Arts