[SML] filament shortage?

Jerry Durand jdurand at interstellar.com
Mon Nov 20 19:28:48 UTC 2017

Don't know if it's just because of the materials I use or if it's a
wider problem, but I keep running into out of stock issues getting the
somewhat special 3D printer filament we use.  I'm not using as much as
before when a spool would last me a day or two, but still need to keep
the printers fed.

The first thing that seems to have disappeared is INGEO PLA, that's the
food contact safe stuff.  I was buying wholesale from Polymaker until
they went out of stock months back and haven't recovered, other vendors
seem to have the same issue.

MakerGeeks has some food safe PLA, but not a wide selection. Tried to
order some of their premium Raptor but...out of stock.

I am also now using more and more polycarbonate for other projects,
but...  Polymaker went out of stock so I switched to eSun.  Now they're
out of stock but I think I found a couple of spools at a distributor
(for more money).

I'm experimenting with PETG, hopefully that stays around.

Of course a big problem is having to tune the machines to each new brand
of filament.  So far I haven't gotten our two older machines to print
MakerGeek PLA while the third newer machine has no problem.

--
Jerry Durand, Durand Interstellar, Inc.
www.interstellar.com