[SML] Looking for more economical bulbs or LED retrofit for Studio Color 575

joe at dunfee.com joe at dunfee.com
Mon Nov 27 16:42:25 UTC 2017

A local theater was able to acquire a number of Studio Color 575's.  The
lighting guy says these have proven to be very reliable units over his
career.  So, it may be worth keeping them going.  The bulb choices are
the MSR 575/2 [1000 hrs] or the longer-life MDS 575 [3000 hrs].  With
prices of $126 and $196 respectively, they are not cheap items to keep
around.  And of course, it is preferable to have a bulb that is less
likely to go out during a show.

The prices I quoted above are from Bulbtronics.  I see the same lamps
available on Alibaba for about 1/5 those prices. Though, my experience
with Chinese suppliers teaches me not to have much trust.  It is one
thing if I am taking a risk for a few dollars.  But, when it goes into
the hundreds, I am a lot more careful.

Can anyone recommend a reliable source for the standard bulbs, with
lower prices than what I quoted from Bulbtronics.

Or perhaps alternatively, is there such a thing as a LED retrofit for
this venerable moving-head light.

-Joe