[SML] LED Shadow projectors

jdunfee12 at yahoo.com jdunfee12 at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 13 01:25:42 UTC 2018

 Illuminati500 via Stagecraft <stagecraft at theatrical.net> wrote:
 >I dream of a point source 1200w equivalent led...i could do so much... all i have >been able to do is a big COB with an episoidal reflector and a small aperture on> the second focus. (Its not good enough)

I have a similar interest, for the same reasons. LEDs in general need significant heat dissipation. So a high wattage LED in a small place is going to be a problem. And while it is possible to over drive a smaller LED to get more power than it is rated, I don't know the limits.  I have seen people mount a LED on a fluid heat exchanger.  But, I have never seen anyone try to do that for the purpose of getting a smaller emitting area and boosting the power.
One approach I have not seen, is to immerse the entire LED in a container of deionized water, and then circulate that water through a heat exchanger.  Note that the LED itself is in direct contact with the deionized water. I have read that metal should not be exposed to deionized water, because it is corrosive.  I guess in applications that need the electrical insulation capability of the deionized water, but have metal, they simply coat the metal with something to protect it.
-Joe