[SML] Video Projection, Q-Lab & TH2G

Steven Mclean stevenjmclean at gmail.com
Tue Apr 17 14:19:29 UTC 2018

I have a production coming up this fall that I think demands projections.
While the content will be challenging (star fields with stars blinking on
sequentially & perhaps star field rotating to suggest passage of time,
rurn-of the century ship-board or ocean imagery, some specific views from
an office, and, perhaps a montage of planets, nebula, and galaxies)  I am
right now considering the practical matters of how to coordinate it all.

Since the play will be produced in a 14'-ceiling black box space of some
width but little depth, I am envisioning a back wall consisting of 3
screens (the side ones with a door in each).  Since the form factor will be
wide and short, I am thinking that 3 projectors will be necessary to cover
it, but I envision the imagery moving across all 3 on occasion.

My previous forays into multi-screen projections have been low-budget-each
projector connected to a discrete computer, power-point or freeware
software.

I am hoping to look into using Q-lab and Triple Head 2 Go adapter by Matrox
for the software and video output, connected to a single 3-year old MacBook
pro.  If anyone on the list has thoughts on this, and in particular:

Which TripleHead2Go?
 TH2Go Digital Edition,
TH2Go Digital SE,
or other?
What would you recommend if an upgraded Mac is necessary & what minimum
specifications?
Mac Mini
MacBook Pro
Mac Pro