[SML] WIgs

Kristi R-C misswisc at aol.com
Sun Aug 19 04:00:16 UTC 2018

I was taught to take a big "bus tub" (plastic tub) and put a few drops of baby shampoo in the bottom, add about 3" of luke-warm water to it and swish with my hand to blend. Take the wig by the front  top inside seam - not the hair, but the sturdy part of the seam - and with the hair of the wig on the bottom of the tub, make large, slow figure 8s in the bottom of the tub. Don't wring, twist, or go backwards- keep the hair flowing behind. If the wig has a lot of styling products, it may need to sit for a few minutes before doing the figure 8s. Once it's well washed, dump out the soapy water and repeat the procedure without the soap at least twice more to get all the residue and soap out. Gently lay on a towel to carry so you don't put any pressure on the wig cap.

Take a canvas wig head that has been wrapped with a couple of layers of Saran Wrap/palletizing wrap and pin the cap in place using ribbon to hold the wig cap in place. With the wig head facing you, place the center of the ribbon on the top, front of the lace and pin, Work your way out to the sides with the ribbon placing pins every 1/2 inch or so in a zig-zag (think motorcycles riding staggered) to hold the wig lace in place.  Roll onto curlers/set being gentle to keep the lace in place and not break hair. Dry in a wig dryer or air dry.

http://makeupbygill.blogspot.com/2011/11/wig-making-blocking.html. has some good photos, though I was taught to continue the ribbon around the back side of the  head, too.

HTH
Kristi R-C