[SML] (no subject)

Bill Conner billconnerastc at gmail.com
Thu Dec 20 21:14:06 UTC 2018

The biggest factor in my experience is aluminum vs steel tracks, and
you say yours are steel.  Back pack guides with the rubber washers or
just carriers bumping against each other?  If you don't have the
washers (H&H calls then "rubber bumpers" ) you might add them, risking
a slight increase in stack space.  Look for other dangling hardware.
Additional clamps (assuming there is a batten back bone) can help.
People have tried applying automobile undercoating or
brushing/spraying on pick-up bed liner which does deaden it a little
bit but lots of perils and lot of work for a little bit.

On Thu, Dec 20, 2018 at 9:26 AM Jon Lagerquist via Stagecraft
<stagecraft at theatrical.net> wrote:

> Perhaps it does not go without saying that lubrication should be done
> according to the manufacturers recommendation.
>
> Jon
>
> On 12/20/2018 6:35 AM, Bill Sapsis wrote:
> > Jon.
> >
> > All good advice except for the lubrication idea.  If the carriers have bushings, the lubricant will leech out in a short period of time.   If the carriers have bearings, those bearing will be sealed and you won't be able to get lubricant into them.
> >
> > In either case the end result is lubricant on the curtain.
> >
> > Bill S
> >
> > bill at sapsis-rigging.com
> > http://sapsis-rigging.com
> > +1.267.278.4561 mobile
> >
> > On 12/20/18, 9:07 AM, "Stagecraft on behalf of Jon Lagerquist via Stagecraft" <stagecraft-bounces at theatrical.net on behalf of stagecraft at theatrical.net> wrote:
> >
> >     As Bill said there is a base level of noise for traveler tracks. But
> >     some things to check:
> >
> >     As the tracks square and level?
> >     Do the carriers need lubrication?
> >     Are the carriers overloaded? This is often easy to do on a main drape.
> >     Is the track adequately supported? Sometimes additional clamps will cut
> >     down the resonance of the track a little.
> >
> >     Jon
> >

> >     On 12/20/2018 5:55 AM, Bill Sapsis via Stagecraft wrote:
> >     > Stephen
> >     >
> >     > The noise is pretty much the nature of the beast.  You can switch out
> >     > the carriers for ones with rubber wheels but I’m not sure the  amount of
> >     > noise reduction you’ll get is worth the cost.  Open track styles, like
> >     > Triple E, will give you much better noise reduction but the systems
> >     > aren’t inexpensive.
> >     >
> >     >
> >     >
> >     > By the way, if you have an ADC system with red carriers, you have a
> >     > pretty old system.  IIRC, those carriers were discontinued long ago.
> >     >
> >     >
> >     >
> >     > Helps, maybe a little?
> [...]