[SML] LD cad software

Mick Alderson alderson at uwosh.edu
Mon Dec 24 21:27:12 UTC 2018

Kenneth Zinkl wrote:

> I've decided that it time for me to purchase some CAD software for lighting
> design. I would love to buy Vectorworks but for the 2-4 times a year I need
> to do a plot I can't justify the cost. I am looking for other programs and
> would like to hear what other semi regular users of CAD software have been
> using. I'm on Windows and I'd like to spend $500 max on the software. I'm
> not opposed to subscriptions plans pending the cost.

I've been a fan of LXFree for a number of years. It is not exactly a CAD
program as such (although it has some basic drawing tools). It is mainly
for building a light plot associated paperwork on top of an imported
ground plan, much as if you used Vectorworks Spotlight with an imported
scenic ground plan made elsewhere.

I mostly use the Mac version of LXFree which is a little more polished,
but there are Java versions for both Windows and Linux. I've tried all
three versions, and they all work just fine. As the name suggests, the
program is free. Definitely worth checking out.

There is also Drafty-app.com, which works in a browser. While I haven't
tried it yet, it appears to use a very similar model to LXFree, i.e
building a lighting plot on top of an existing ground plan. If I EVER
need to doing a lighting design on a Chromebook (or on a borrowed
computer) then a month's subscription of Drafty might be a good solution!

--
Mick Alderson
TD Fredric March Theatre