[SML] Dead body?

Pat Kight kightp at peak.org
Tue Feb 6 20:14:42 UTC 2018

Jerry Durand via Stagecraft wrote:

> On 02/06/2018 08:31 AM, dale via Stagecraft wrote:
>> Bulk up from the skeleton with bubble wrap, foam packing sheets and
>> packing  tape to make the body. Make the head out of one of those
>> Styrofoam head shapes that wig makers use.  Paint the head in desired
>> skin tones.
>
> The bubble wrap gives the added feature sound effects on impact, but
> you'll have to replace it as it gets popped.
>
> Probably also don't want it to bounce too much, so more foam and less
> air bags would probably be good.

If you want to add a bit of weight to make the
lugging-it-up-to-the-ramparts bit more realistic, add a bag or two of
potting soil, taped securely to the "skeleton's" torso section, with
lots of gaff. Bonus: the *thump* when it hits the deck is rather
gruesomely realistic.

(I used this technique to make the dead-goat-inna-bag prop that has to
be dragged onstage in Albee's "The Goat," dampening the bag with water
just before its entrance to produce a "blood" trail that was plausible
enough to draw "ewwwwws" from the audience in a small black-box space.
Bonus: After the run, I dismantled the prop and used the potting soil in
my garden.)

--
Pat Kight