[SML] SketchUp?

jdunfee12 at yahoo.com jdunfee12 at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 18 15:22:44 UTC 2018

 >I basically had to redraft everything to manipulate it in VW. It was worse than having a designer who hand drafts everything. -Ron Koinzan
That is not a terribly uncommon thing to need to do in the world of CAD.  2D drawings exported from 3D parametric packages, often have redundant lines, lines that should go to the end of the next line, but it ends slightly before it.  This is because there are multiple surfaces that create an overlapping line in some view orientations.
Also, plenty of native 2D drawings I get from other sources have significant problems.  Accidental 3D on what should be a purely 2D drawing is a common thing to see.
A lot depends upon the knowledge and training of the draftsman who created it. Management doesn't tend to see the need for highly developed CAD skills, nor understand the effort needed to develop those skills.  Drafting used to be a profession, now it has gone the way of the secretary.  The guy designing/engineering the project is expected to have mastered the CAD program with, at most, a one semester class in college.  Then, rather than hand the drafting task to a draftsman, he is expected to do the drawing himself. Often under significant time pressure.
-Joe