[SML] Slow moving motor

Michael Powers mptecdir at gmail.com
Sat Jul 28 21:48:32 UTC 2018

‘Bout a zillion years ago (1969 summer) I was TD/master (only) Carpenter, electrician, board op, et al. At the Northshore Music Theatre in Beverly, Ma.  The LD was Theta Taylor.  She was a genius, artist, painter with light in the Jean Rosenthal style.  Should have been on B’way but too timid to make the leap.  Anyway, she did the effect we’re talking about with no moving fixture, no motor, just 12 1K beam projectors, two 500w 6x12 leko’s, 6 3K plates(piano board) and two 500w variacs.  For th life of me I can’t remember which show it was for. Nowhere to hide anything, Northshore was an arena stage.  Dimmers were two  14 plate 3K piano boards, two Luxtrol  6 pac with independent master and about a dozen 500w Variacs.  A large window unit mounted at the main aisle was part of the set.  The beam projectors were used in pairs from the catwalk, mounted roughly (IIRC) 15’ apart. The two leko’s were independent and mounted next to the fifth pair of beam projectors.  Color was Brigham but I don’t recall the exact numbers.  Started with a light sky blue, worked to a moonlight blue.  The two leko’s were a red and an orange.
Cue started with pair 1 at 7, rest at 0.  Slow cross fade to each successive pair, only two pair on at a time.  Basically I tapped each handle about a half point at a time and walked away in between.  The leko’s came on during pair #4 and were out by the start of pair #6.  The entire cue lasted about 45 min.  It was really impressive looking out the light booth window and watching the window’s shadow slowly sweep across the room.

Michael Powers
USMC '65-'69
ETCP Rigger #820 (Ret'd)