[SML] distant generators

Dale Farmer dale at cybercom.net
Mon Jul 30 02:10:05 UTC 2018

Without actually cracking open the book to confirm, entertainment rated
cables are mandated, and they are 600V rated.  They were getting about
200VAC, so lets assume they were getting 240VAC from the generator.  40
volt drop over 200 feet is more than I would expect for typical loads.
the mention of melting plugs further leads me to believe they were
trying to pull more amps than the cable is rated for because of the
voltage drop interacting with the power supplies trying to feed the gear.

There are a number of possible solutions to the problem stated.   The
simplest and easiest is to just run a couple of additional regular
extension cords from the generator to the sound table, and spread the
loads over more cords.  This increases the effective wire gauge since
voltage drop increases the higher the amperage draw.  (Don't ask me why,
that gets into physics, and that class was 30 years ago.) If the sound
gear is sensitive to voltage drop, put in a mid grade UPS that has
voltage boost capability at the end of each cord.  That will draw more
amps as the voltage drop gets bigger, so measure how many amps each cord
is drawing and balance the loads.

   Outdoor venues often require long cable runs.   200 feet is not that
long of a run.

Increasing the voltage at the generator and have a transformer to bring
it back down to nominal voltage at point of use is another.  But if done
by someone who isn't familiar with the oddities of voltage drop and how
the power supplies in electronic gear affects it.  There is also power
factor issues that further complicate things.

   Another one is to increase the wire gauge of the cable you use to
make the long run. ten AWG extension cords are available at your local
big box home center.  If they have someone capable of using a variable
tap transformer without a darwin award, they have someone who can go buy
a spool of heavy cable and connectors to make a temporary use power
cable.  Another possibly more cost effective means is to rent from the
same people you got the generator from a heavy gauge feeder to a distro
box placed at the point of use.  One could also create a ring main power
line, modulo local electrical code inspector approval.

There are other strategies one can use to mitigate the noise of the
generator.  One is renting a drummer enclosure from your local band gear
rental shop. It is designed to tame the sound of an overly loud drummer
on a stage, it works just fine to tame the sound of a small generator.
Just parking a truck between the generator and the set might be enough.
Buy a couple sheets of plywood and a bundle or two of fiberglass
insulation.  Carpenter can whomp up an ugly but functional noise
reduction wall around the generator in an hour or so with that.
Alternative go to your used office furniture vendor and rent or buy a
couple sets of office cubical dividers. They are cheapish, and absorb
speaking voice frequencies pretty well.  If they didn't get rained on or
damaged, the vendor might buy them back at the end of the shoot.

Dale