[SML] 60Hz gear in a 50Hz World

Dave Vick dave.vick at gmail.com
Fri Mar 2 01:50:34 UTC 2018

On Thu, Mar 1, 2018 at 8:18 PM, Bill Nelson via Stagecraft
<stagecraft at theatrical.net> wrote:

> Eastern Japan, including Tokyo, is 50 Hz. Western Japan is 60 Hz. I suspect it
> is due to the same cause as in the early days of electricity in NYC -
> competing power companies. Edison's system was DC while Westinghouse used
> Tesla's 60 Hz AC system.

Japan's dual-frequency electrical system has more to do with the
occupation of the islands post-WWII than it does with any duelling
power companies...
Nippon was historically a 50Hz nation until the US Occupying Forces
brought 60Hz power (among other vices) ashore in 1945.

--
Dave Vick
IATSE #274, Michigan