[SML] Thank you SML

gbierly at dejazzd.com gbierly at dejazzd.com
Sun Mar 11 02:21:49 UTC 2018

I am feeling a bit nostalgic tonight and wanted to write my thanks to the entire list.  I have said before how I appreciate the wisdom and support of this list.  Here at Hempfield we are in our run of Andrew Lloyd Weber’s Phantom of the Opera.  When the directors announced the show this Fall I was filled with doubt about my ability to stage this show.  I know this show can look really bad if not done correctly.  I am turning 50 this Spring and have been working shows for nearly 40 of them.  We are successfully and SAFELY staging the three magic lasso scenes.  I have no doubt these students are COMPLETELY safe.  Even 10 years ago I don’t think I would have attempted this effect on my own without hiring an outside professional.  It is through the wisdom of this list and my experiences that I have accomplished this.  I’ll never forget a USITT class I sat through on wire rope and Delbert Hall saying “If you don’t feel safe doing it, DON’T DO IT!”  This has resonated through my past 20+ years as a TD.  We are also doing the chandelier drop.  I am lucky enough to have Tait Towers 20 minutes up the road and are supportive enough to provide us with a programmable winch to allow the effect to be done repeatably in total safety.  It doesn’t hurt that one of their automation programmers is a graduate.  I knew my limitations when I found the director used a pair of ornamental swords to choreograph a fencing duel.  I immediately contacted a local fight choreographer to rent rapiers and check the choreography.  I am taking some flack from administration but would not sacrifice safety.  This list has many seasoned vets that in their eyes I am still a young buck, but from you I have listened and learned.  To the other part of the list that considers me one of the old guys, to you I suggest you live by Delbert’s words and whatever you do don’t overestimate your abilities.  Always err on the side of caution.  My twin daughters graduated last year (both were performers) and my son entered this year as a Freshman and joined the stage crew.  Here comes the next generation and I hope I have instilled not only the safety but the art behind our craft.  I had a lot to say and rambled a bit but wanted to post this a tribute to SML and its members for supporting me over the past 20 years.  Thank you.

Greg Bierly
Performing Arts Center Manager
Hempfield High School