[SML] Insurance question

Scott C. Parker scparker at gmail.com
Wed Mar 21 12:40:19 UTC 2018

When contacting an insurance broker, be sure your former student asks about
both one-time event coverage AND an annual company type policy that would
also cover events. I was purchasing event coverage for my Super Saturday
workshop and then discovered I could get a general policy that included my
activities including the event. Just a couple/few hundred bucks more. With
this new policy, I can get riders to cover me when I'm designing in local
theaters and even coverage for my laptop while on site.

On Wed, Mar 21, 2018 at 7:49 AM, Stephen Rees via Stagecraft <
stagecraft at theatrical.net> wrote:

> All,
> I got this note from a former student who will be bringing a show to town
> in August and he posed the question below.  I don't have an answer to give
> him. Does the collective mind has any ideas about national agencies or
> cooperatives he might explore to get proper coverage? He is not trying to
> avoid coverage, but hasn't encountered this issue before.
>
> Quoted message follows:
> "Wanted to pick your brain for a little info, if you have it.
>
> It looks like I’ll be bringing my show The Motherf**ker With The Hat to
> [redacted] the weekend of the Reunion!
> And we are all very excited about it!
>
> That said, I’ve got a bit of an issue...(redacted) informed me there isn’t
> a liability rider on the Theater Dept (or rather [the university])
> insurance I could purchase for temporary coverage.
>
> We are a small troupe that produces the show at various venues here in CA
> and always had the ability to buy into their coverage. But it sounds like I
> have to purchase a separate policy for 2 mill liability coverage. So my
> question is, since you may have dealt with this in the past, where I might
> go to get the best price for that coverage?
>
> Is there another way/organization that might allow us to “ride” onto a
> policy that you know of?
>
> Any info you could provide would be appreciated!"
>
> Thanks in advance..
> Steve
>
> Stephen E. Rees
> Professor Emeritus of Theatre
> CCE-CC Master Gardener Volunteer
> 716.680.1565 <(716)%20680-1565> Mobile

Thanks,
Scott

Scott C. Parker
Lighting Designer http://scpld.com/ Studio 212-533-3430  Cell 718-757-6661
http://twitter.com/stageseminars
https://www.linkedin.com/in/lightingdesigner
USA829, IES, PLASA, USITT, ETCP certified Rigger & Electrician