[SML] Other modern "conveniences"

Jerry Durand jdurand at durandinterstellar.com
Thu Mar 29 18:51:52 UTC 2018

We just bought a new digital camera for product/site/general photos
since our trusty (the battery is ALWAYS dead) Olympus camera is getting
a bit old...

So, not needing anything super fancy we got the Fuji XP130 package from
Costco.  Drop resistant, water tight for diving, dust tight.  Even has
wireless connectivity in addition to USB.  Sounds good.

Well, the camera takes very nice pictures and doesn't even freak too
badly if pointed at the house full of people.  It quickly draws boxes
around almost all the faces at the same time.  Wonder how many faces it
can handle at once?

But...

Whoever designed the wireless part had too much saki.  WAY too much.

If you want to use it with your mobile device you pair the bluetooth to
your mobile...only you don't use normal pairing, it doesn't show up
there.  You install their app and IT ("it" being the app and not my
inverter) does the pairing.

Not done.  Say you want to transfer pictures to your mobile.  Well, you
open the Wireless Connection on the camera, then open the app on the
mobile, then tap connect on the app, then click the connect on the
camera, then accept the connection on both.  Believe it or not this
process did NOT use BlueTooth except for some initial sync.  It
disconnects your mobile from whatever WiFi you happen to be using and
reconnect to the WiFi hotspot in the camera.

>From here you can remote-control the camera (works well), transfer
pictures, etc.  But each time you change function like remote control to
transfer it disconnects and you have to start over.

Did I mention WAAAY too much saki?

The USB connection works fast and simple like you'd expect.

--
Jerry Durand, Durand Interstellar, Inc.
www.DurandInterstellar.com