[SML] Dummy load resistor?

Jon Ares jonares at arescreative.com
Thu May 3 22:12:33 UTC 2018

On Thu, May 3, 2018 at 2:01 PM, Bill Conner via Stagecraft
<stagecraft at theatrical.net> wrote:
> I saw under $10 "reptile heaters" which are infrared.  Ebay has one of
> the old fashioned ceramic cones that screw into a lamp socket.  The
> kind I use to use for smoke effects with sal ammoniac.  Somehow I
> think that is frowned upon today.

Yeah, I've got some heater cones and sal ammoniac and a snazzy burner
assembly somewhere in storage.... days gone by....

For others with suggestions, thanks.... still determining if I need to
deal with it..... turns out it's just one practical with the non-dim
problem - single bulb, and it's a cool-looking, albeit weird looking
one.....  and it's clearly not happy to be dimmed.  But the other
practicals (chandeliers and other bigger units) have enough bulbs to
register as a load, so they're working just fine.  The problematic one
is one that is not too dissimilar from this one:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Large-Fireworks-LED-Light-E27-Edison-Vintage-Style-Filament-Bulb-Lamp-Decorative/182960769841?hash=item2a994fcb31:m:mQxfCZNtI6Uxn86gCCj-fpg

I come to the problem semi-frequently - think black box, where it's
dimmer-per-circuit, and the audience is in-the-round, and circuits are
visible, and there's no reasonable way to put in a 2-fer at the
circuit, and run 100 feet away, down the wall, and out a door to
another part of the building, just to run a 40-watt bulb as a dummy
load.  So I hope that someday I could make a small-ish box thing that
can hang at the circuit, and suck up some juice, for this occasional
need.

--
Jon Ares
www.arescreative.com