[SML] Sal Ammoniac smoke

Mt. Angel Performing Arts Center admin at mtangelperformingarts.com
Wed May 9 13:44:10 UTC 2018

In late grade school or early high school (the timeline is a bit fuzzy)
we made our own solar cells using a 'glocoil' for the heat source to
diffuse silicon wafer material with various interesting (and no doubt
highly toxic) doping agents.

The standard heating coils were cone shaped - this special version was
tubular. As I recall it cost us an arm and a leg back then - about $6.50.

I don't recall if the solar cells we made actually worked or not - but
it was fun trying.

I think I still have that same glocoil in my junk bin as it went on to a
lifetime's use as a dummy load for audio amplifiers. About 16 ohms and
600 watts worth - not too shabby.

Sal Ammoniac (Ammonium chloride) was sold in a solid block (Allied Radio
catalog item) as a 'tinning block' for soldering irons. Wiping a hot
soldering iron across it cleaned the tip wonderfully. No surprise since
it would be essentially a 'hot pickle' in Hydrochloric Acid, huh? Item
is still available on Amazon and from stained glass suppliers.

And isn't 'soldering paste' ammonium chloride in petrolatum?

Carla / Stu

As an explanation for the decline in the US's tech edge, James Niccol
wrote "It used to be that the USA was pretty good at producing stuff
teen-aged boys could lose a finger or two playing with."