[SML] Sardines!

Pat Kight kightp at peak.org
Fri May 11 05:35:42 UTC 2018

Jon Ares via Stagecraft wrote:
>> We are going the show Noises Off, and we are thinking of making new sardines
>> for the show because our props department kind of let us down. Does anyone
>> have any tips we are about a week from show. We need them to last for 4
>> performances. I was thinking of buying real ones and encasing them with a
>> layer of gelatin. Any other ideas?
>
> I've used rubber fish (bait) from the fishing/sportsperson's store....
> removed the hooks, of course....

^^^ This the best idea.

Don't use real ones. Trust me on this (I played Dottie in a long-ago
production of N.O., and the props person considered that until he
brought some in for a rehearsal. They *stink* - more so the longer
they're under the lights - and also slide off the plate. Gelatin will
only make them more slippery, and probably won't help with the smell.)
We wound up rough-sculpting a pile of them from grey foam (the kind
electronics sometimes come packed in) and glossing them up withsome kind
of clear acrylic paint. Which also, conveniently, glued them to the plate.

--
Pat Kight