[SML] alerts

*Hobbit* hobbit at avian.org
Wed Oct 3 22:39:03 UTC 2018

Neither my old phone nor the new one emitted a peep.  Old one had no
service anymore but was in touch with the cell towers, and can still
dial 911, but is probably too old to have the EAS capability.  The new
one's Messaging app [Android] has a settings area to configure the "cell
broadcast" and emergency alert levels, which I'd disabled long since.
Those settings are evidently stored on the SIM, given the delay when
I saved them, but turning it all off seems to have worked since the
phone was on the cell network all day and remained silent.

Interesingly, a colleague who had gone to airplane mode over the relevant
time period went back on the cell network a half-hour later, and THEN
the "trump super-tweet" arrived and made his phone go nuts.  So these
things must get buffered up for a while, like SMS, and delivered whenever
the device becomes reachable.  But it's not a straight-up SMS, because
nothing showed up in Messages either even though that *is* enabled.

_H*