[SML] Very low cost DMX Controllers

jdunfee12 at yahoo.com jdunfee12 at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 4 20:36:38 UTC 2019

I will soon be presenting at a puppeteer's conference, and want to stay current with what is available at the low end for those wanting to do lighting with a DMX controlled system.
I recall the old Lighttronics units, with its 8-channel (16 by using two banks) of sliders.  It was small, and simple enough to use, that the user manual was printed on the underside of the unit.
But, since those days, the LED fixtures have taken over, and those tend to gobble up channels.

I recently tried out the extremely cheap Lixada DMX192 channel controllers sold for DJ's. They are also sold under a zillion other labels, and I got mine for under $40. However it is fatally flawed for theatrical use, because you cannot fade between scenes.  Instead, if  you press a scene button, the scene instantly comes up. The fade rate control slider has no effect on this.
Can anyone recommend a unit, under $100, that can handle the modern intelligent lights, and permits cross-fading between scenes?
-Joe