[SML] center pivot revolve lazy susan gear rack

taco at peak.org taco at peak.org
Wed Apr 17 02:04:51 UTC 2019

One of the local gurus is trying to locate a piece of equipment that people swear to him they have seen, but google is failing him, as he doesn't know what it is called.

There's a standard rack in a closet. You can't close the closet door. You can't install a typical hinged-pivot rack, because there isn't enough room to swing it open.

He's picturing a rack that, instead of swinging open on hinges, pivots on a center-pole, except that, of course, there can't be an actual pole.

I said, build a shelf with an appropriately heavy-duty lazy-susan turntable and just mount the rack you have. He thinks a store-bought solution would be sturdier, better-designed, and would have a pivot-pin or something at the top that would make it more secure.

What is he looking for? What is it called? Have one? Seen one? Know its name? Have a link?

Thanks so much, as usual!

In other catch-up type news, I just finished appearing as Judge Littlefield in a production of The Last Days Of Judas Iscariot. It was a tremendous experience, but I very well may never try memorizing anything again. We're preparing for the 6th season of the Majestic Theatre's Readers Theater program, which I've been part of since the beginning. I absolutely love the lowered level of time commitment. We've been producing great pieces of writing in a pared-down setting to an intimate audience of about 60 tops, and it's been very well received. I did a mainstage set design a year ago, that you saw pictures of, and went back to my old haunt in Albany and did two light designs, a collaboration with John Elliott, who did all the heavy lifting and decision-making, for Love and Information, and then a dreadful piece of tripe called Daddy's Girl. I'm now playing tub bass regularly with two different groups, neither of which have their managerial shit together, so all we do is rehearse, which is still way better that hardly ever playing. Never a dull moment!