[SML] Balcony Rails

Bill Conner billconnerastc at gmail.com
Fri Aug 2 12:45:25 UTC 2019

Fritz-

Great example of bad design.  Missing handrails in the aisles,
illumination (unless you always leave house lights on at a suitable
level), and no contrasting marking stripe at nosings.  The guards at
the fascia of the balcony looks like they could be code compliant.
Those are and have been for a while required for new construction; and
the Life Safety Code requires they be retrofit in existing.  I am not
sure if there is the required tread and riser uniformity on back side
of cross aisle.

Probably not suitable here - though maybe for an interim measure
before its corrected - at Expo 86 in Vancouver, one of the main
performance spaces (the one with hydraulic rigging if anyone
remembers) suffered from same problem - uniform dark gray carpet top
to bottom. A lot of falls early on.  The fix was to paint with white
latex a stripe on nosings.  It adhered well, toughened the carpet so
it wore less tan it would have on the nosing, and solved the problem -
inexpensively.

On Thu, Aug 1, 2019 at 7:53 PM Richard Niederberg via Stagecraft
<stagecraft at theatrical.net> wrote:

> Dear Richard,
> 1" White Gaffer's Tape is not so durable on carpet. Much less of a problem on linoleum or other nonporous surfaces. You don't want a gummy mess.
> /s/ Richard
> _________
>
> On Thu, Aug 1, 2019 at 4:46 PM Richard John Archer via Stagecraft <stagecraft at theatrical.net> wrote:
>>
>> My first thought……try white tape if they are too cheap to put safety first.
>>
>> On Aug 1, 2019, at 6:11 PM, Kristi R-C via Stagecraft <stagecraft at theatrical.net> wrote:
>>
>> Before you add the balcony rails, try adding something to visually denote the edge of each step. These are visually confusing. Beautiful carpet for flat aisles, a nightmare for someone trying to walk down the steps.

> /s/ Richard
> _________

Bill Conner Fellow of the ASTC