[SML] Head Bumpers

Duncan Mahoney dmahoney at usc.edu
Thu Aug 8 20:40:44 UTC 2019

Jeff Kanyuck asks:
>Hello,
   > I'm looking for knowledge of anything that might be better for covering corners, beams, pipes and such that are at head level in catwalks so people >aren't bashing their heads and hurting themselves so much.

I have used pipe insulation, strips of anti-fatigue matting, and pool noodles (which also have the advantage of being brightly colored) to pad surfaces, edges and corners.  Adhering the padding to the object is usually the biggest challenge.

As for any flame-retardant requirement, that would be between you and your AHJ.  My AHJ generally considers quantity and location for questions like this.  Small quantities of flammable items are sometimes tolerated unless they are in a location where they are likely to be ignited or do significant extra damage if they catch fire

IF FR is a requirement, then you could pad with multiple layers of FR duvetyn or velour...

Duncan Mahoney
Head of Technical Direction
Associate Professor of Theatre Practice
University of Southern California School of Dramatic Arts