[SML] Head Bumpers

Dougherty, Jim jdougher at middlebury.edu
Fri Aug 9 14:08:10 UTC 2019

Jeffrey Kanyuck <JKanyuck at Harford.edu> wrote:

    Hello,
        I'm looking for knowledge of anything that might be better for covering corners, beams, pipes and such that are at head level in catwalks so people aren't bashing their heads and hurting themselves so much.

    I've found this at Home Despot:[pipe insulation link]

    But, am wondering if any of you know of something that might be better.

    DOES IT HAVE TO BE FLAME RETARDANT?

    Jeff Kanyuck

I can't speak to the flame retardancy requirements, that's maybe a better question for your AHJ. We use similar stuff (longitudinally split pipe insulation) but have a few different diameters and some other materials as well - a denser, closed cell foam for example. We've also used double stick to adhere a neoprene like material to some low beams, but have found that the adhesive method isn't all that effective over time.  Any thought of having bump caps accessible for people working in the grid?

- Jim Dougherty
Middlebury College Theatre Department