[SML] LED room lighting

Jon Ares jonares at arescreative.com
Fri Aug 9 23:09:49 UTC 2019

On Fri, Aug 9, 2019 at 12:59 PM jdunfee12--- via Stagecraft
<stagecraft at theatrical.net> wrote:

> I don't know how close the "Equivalent wattage" for a LED is in comparison to an actual tungsten lamp now-a-days.  I know early in the history of household LED bulbs, sometimes the lumens of the tungsten lamps were under estimated so the LED equivalent wattage could be exaggerated.

As my brain moves from thinking in terms of watts for brightness, to
lumens instead, here's the general chart I refer to....
Lumens to old-school incandescent watts:
450 = 40 watt bulb
800 = 60
1050 = 75
1600 = 100
2250 = 150
8100 = 540
These get me in the ballpark when I'm online, or standing in the bulb
aisle. I try not to pay attention to the claims that their 4 watt LED
is the equivalent of a 100-watt incandescent when they rate their own
lumens at 500.

--
Jon Ares
www.arescreative.com