[SML] Boston Mayor's aides convicted of demanding music festival hire union stagehands.

Richard Niederberg ladesigners at gmail.com
Sat Aug 10 20:49:17 UTC 2019

The Boston Jury was allowed to reasonably infer things that are not
presented in evidence. The Jury, being the 'Conscious of the Court', is
allowed t use its judgment in deciding what the facts were if there is a
gap in the chain of evidence.
/s/ Richard
_________

On Sat, Aug 10, 2019 at 11:55 AM June Abernathy via Stagecraft <
stagecraft at theatrical.net> wrote:

> So, the festival organizers assumed that the City Hall staffers were
> demanding that they use union labor in exchange for approving permits,
> although that had not been the case in previous years. The jury apparently
> agreed with that view.
>
> You, Dale, are assuming that the union was behind this situation?
> Pressuring the City Staffers to pressure the event organizers into using
> Union labor? There is no mention in the article of this. You’re assuming
> that is what everyone will assume and that therefore the situation is a
> “black eye to the union’s reputation”?
>
> That’s a lot of assuming for facts not in evidence. I think I’m going to
> withhold judgement here.
>
> June Abernathy
> IATSE #321
> FOH Electrician
> The Lion King National Tour
>
> On Aug 9, 2019, at 2:15 PM,Dale Farmer <dale at cybercom.net> wrote:
>
> Short version.   Two senior city hall staffers were in a final meeting
> with the Boston Calling music festival organizers days before the event.
>  They say they asked the organizers to hire union stagehands.  But they
> still had not handed over the final city permits needed for the event
> when they asked.  The festival organizers felt that if they didn't agree
> to what they viewed as a demand, they wouldn't get the needed city
> permits.    They hired union stagehands and got the permits.  Someone
> asked the FBI to investigate and this trial resulted.
>
> My memory (Unreliable on this, as I never worked the event myself) was
> that in prior years, they used a mix of paid non-union stagehands, and
> volunteers. anyone with first hand knowledge, feel free to correct facts.)
>
> My opinion, big black eye to the union's reputation.
>
> Dale

/s/ Richard
_________