[SML] Swapping Grand and Midstage Curtain

Matthew Breton theatricalmatt at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 26 00:59:30 UTC 2019

I would add to this: Once the pipes are in at deck height, add enough sandbags to each to compensate for the weight of one of the panels being removed -- ideally, near a pick point.

Although this does technically make the lineset out of weight, a) you're going to already be out of weight, since the stage floor is taking the weight of the soft goods; and b) if the pipe is all the way in, it's not going to go any further.  It does mean that when you remove a panel, you're essentially going back to balanced weight (but, remember note a).  Obviously, once the goods are swapped, the sandbags can be removed.

If you have enough sandbags (and, ahem, labor) you could just add enough sand to compensate for the entire weight of all the drapes.  It might be easier to strike the midstage, fold it up and tuck it off to one side, transfer then main, then re-hang the midstage, rather than move both goods section by section.

Also, I second the notion to lay out some butcher paper or visqueen on the stage floor; these aren't the soft goods you want to pick up dust!

Matthew Breton
Design for Theater and Dance