[SML] rakes

Bill Conner billconnerastc at gmail.com
Sat Jun 1 19:49:05 UTC 2019

2017 LORT agreement I believe.    So 1:24 for sure (International
Building Code now used in most jurisdictions says 1:20 or less is no
longer ramp) and steeper with provisions.

(K) Inclined Playing Surfaces.
(1) An “inclined playing surface” is defined as a major acting area
that is inclined
(e.g., raked stage, mound, etc.). Prior to the construction of any
inclined playing
surface, where the incline will be greater than ½ inch per foot, the
Theatre shall
promptly notify Equity, in writing, of such plans and provide such
information as
Equity may reasonably request. It is understood that when a Theatre is
utilizing a
set from a prior production, said notice may not be possible, and the Theatre
agrees to notify Equity as soon as a determination is made that such set will be
utilized.
(2) When an inclined playing surface of greater than ¾ inch per foot is used for
plays and an inclined playing surface of greater than ½ inch per foot
is used for
musicals, a qualified instructor will give instructions to the cast,
before rehearsals
commence on the inclined playing surface, as to how to perform on the inclined
playing surface in order to minimize the risk of injury. Instructions
will also be
provided for all replacement Actors, as well as Swings and Understudies, before
their first paid public performance.
(3) Identifying Qualified Instructors.
(a) A “qualified instructor,” as referred to in (K)(2) above, shall be
a health care
practitioner with training or experience that includes skills and abilities
necessary to assess risk factors associated with musculoskeletal injury/illness.
Licensed professionals with such training include, but are not limited to,
physical therapists, occupational therapists, and physicians. However,
individuals in other professions may be considered “qualified instructors” after
demonstrating equivalent study/knowledge in these areas.
(b) The Theatre will supply the Stage Manager and the Deputy with the name
and qualifications of the instructor.

On Fri, May 31, 2019 at 1:07 PM Richard Niederberg via Stagecraft
<stagecraft at theatrical.net> wrote:

> Dear Dick,
> Don't 'Cats' ratio, but For liability purposes, 1/4":12" is the safest under the Uniform Building Code, as it is the minimum rake for drainage on roofs, so you should be able to beat any Workman's Compensation claim if you use that ratio and a worker falls.
> /s/ Richard, Esq.
>
> On Fri, May 31, 2019 at 8:48 AM Richard John Archer via Stagecraft <stagecraft at theatrical.net> wrote:
>>
>> anybody know what the rake for Cats was?  Was that the last time Equity tried to institute  guidelines??  Is there a recommended maximum pitch???    I’ve always stopped at 1:12, like ADA  and done the Equity notification above 1/2” per ft  .   Just wondering.  Thinking about a rake here for a show next year and we are no longer under Equity rules but I still want some pushback depending on design. (no , we are not doing Cats)
>>
>> DickA
>> TD, Cornell U

> /s/ Richard
> _________