[SML] Room limits

Bill Conner billconnerastc at gmail.com
Mon Jun 3 16:40:11 UTC 2019

Here are some values and text from 2015 IBC.  Life Safety Code is
pretty similar:  (note that "net" menas net sq ft per occupant)

"Assembly with fixed seats See Section 1004.4

Assembly without fixed seats:
  Concentrated (chairs only—not fixed)  7 net
  Standing space 5 net
  Unconcentrated (tables and chairs)  15 net

Stages and platforms 15 net"

And here is text from 1004.4:

"1004.4 Fixed seating. For areas having fixed seats and aisles, the
occupant load shall be determined by the number of fixed seats
installed therein. The occupant load for areas in which fixed seating
is not installed, such as waiting spaces, shall be determined in
accordance with Section 1004.1.2 and added to the number of fixed
seats. The occupant load of wheelchair spaces and the associated
companion seat shall be based on one occupant for each wheelchair
space and one occupant for the associated companion seat provided in
accordance with Section 1108.2.3. For areas having fixed seating
without dividing arms, the occupant load shall be not less than the
number of seats based on one person for each 18 inches (457 mm) of
seating length. The occupant load of seating booths shall be based on
one person for each 24 inches (610 mm) of booth seat length measured
at the backrest of the seating booth."

Lastly:

"1004.2 Increased occupant load. The occupant load permitted in any
building, or portion thereof, is permitted to be increased from that
number established for the occupancies in Table 1004.1.2, provided
that all other requirements of the code are met based on such modified
number and the occupant load does not exceed one occupant per 7 square
feet (0.65 m2) of occupiable floor space. Where required by the
building official, an approved aisle, seating or fixed equipment
diagram substantiating any increase in occupant load shall be
submitted. Where required by the building official, such diagram shall
be posted."

The code does require you add the occupant loads of each space.  Also
keep in mind this is all primarily to determine the minimum number of
and aggregate clear width of means of egress.  Its assumed that if the
plan and building was approved that a 1500 sq ft stage has adequate
egress for 100 people.  Most codes only assembly areas are required to
be posted.  But I can also tell you that having heard this issue
discussed by building and fire service officials, designers, and
owners, the interpretations vary.  And fatalities in assembly spaces
are often due to  overcrowding.  So as Steve says, ultimately up to
the local authorities, but at least you have some of the numbers.

Standing room was mentioned.  On my seating drawings I show potential
standing room "spaces" on my plans when called for so that it can be
approved in plan review and included on the posting.  It the best way
to document it I know of.

On Sun, Jun 2, 2019 at 7:06 PM Glenn Hoit via Stagecraft
<stagecraft at theatrical.net> wrote:

> Hello listers,
>
> Recently, at one of our sister high schools, a complaint was filed to the local fire department about how many patrons were being allowed into the facility. The school was cited, and in the ensuing discussion the following questions were raised:
>
> 1)  Is the "maximum number allowed" that is posted on the wall only referencing the number in the audience, or does that number include audience + actors + tech?
> 2). Is the maximum number allowed determined by the number of physical seats in the Hall?
>
> Thanks for your input,
> Glenn Hoit
> Air Academy High School
> USAFA, CO