[SML] Something happy (JIM VOGEL)

Dougherty, Jim jdougher at middlebury.edu
Tue Jun 4 11:14:18 UTC 2019

We’re between academic sessions now which means some maintenance, catch up on paperwork and take vacation time.  When the summer gets rolling we produce plays (6-8 or so) for the Summer Language Schools, in the languages the students are studying.  The directors and occasionally designers we work with usually speak English, though there is always a bilingual assistant who may or may not have theater experience.  It's not your normal run-of-the-mill summer theater.

In the fall we're doing Charles Mee's Bacchae 2.1 and One Flea Spare, by Naomi Wallace.  Spring has us doing Julius Caesar and another play to be named later (hot stove league negotiations are always tricky).  Add in a slew of student plays throughout the year and an awesome week in Hyannis in January for ACTF Region I and there's my year, pretty much.  There'll be a nice mix of new and returning students that make it fun, and our department is seeing some personnel transitions that will shake up the mix for a while.  Change is challenging but good to have once in a while though I'm going to miss my departing colleagues a ton.

- Jim Dougherty
Middlebury College Theatre Department