[SML] DIY flame retardant?

Richard Niederberg ladesigners at gmail.com
Sat Jun 15 17:13:17 UTC 2019

Dear Jerry,
I agree with your formula but my guess is that the roads leading to your
new shop location are not as well served by 20 Mule Team Borax Wagons
(70+K# including tare weight) as your Los Gatos location was in the day...
/s/ Richard
_________

On Sat, Jun 15, 2019 at 8:26 AM Jerry Durand via Stagecraft <
stagecraft at theatrical.net> wrote:

> Boron.  Somewhere I have a recipe, mix borax (the mineral) with some
> Boraxo (the soap), soak/spray and you have flame retardant.  It's what I
> use for fireworks clothes that aren't already FR.
>
> On 6/14/19 8:52 PM, tech dept via Stagecraft wrote:
>
> There is a ton of heat energy stored in hay and straw. One live tv event
> event I was at a call on, had a half a dozen bales on the set and the local
> fire marshall JUST happened to see the show and freaked out.
> Phoned up the event and demanded the bales be removed immediately.
> I speculate that there isn't a spray/immerse treatment that would pass
> muster.
> However I would wager that there is a soupy cement method that would. Even
> a non-vacuum method.
> Soft goods.
> I have done the bicarbonate immersion treatment before. Though it was
> never challenged/tested. It at least gave me some peace of mind , then.
> I have now standardized on Rosco products per their instructions and
> though having the AHJ inquire, everything passed. That is the most
> important part of all this.
> Also, no more bales of anything and no more uneven streaks of white
> residue on the fabric.
> That's my experiences.
>

> --
> Jerry Durand, Durand Interstellar, Inc.www.DurandInterstellar.com