[SML] Digital mixing console

Stephen Litterst litterst.stagecraft at gmail.com
Tue Jun 18 18:34:43 UTC 2019

On 6/18/19 12:44 PM, Kenneth Zinkl via Stagecraft wrote:
> I'm starting to look for a portable digital mixing console that is
> fairly straight forward to use and easy for one person to setup. Right
> now I'm looking at the QSC touchmix and Yamaha TF series  but I'd like
> to know what others have found easy to use and durable. It would be used
> by at least 3 different people for events as simple as lectures to
> mixing small bands. 24 inputs should be more than enough.

We use both the Yamaha TF series and the QSC Touchmix in our special
events department.

The QSC Touchmix is great for simple lectures and background music.  We
have the TouchMix 8, and use it regularly with 1-4 wireless and a music
source.  The ipad interface is great and easy to configure. The biggest
shortcoming is the 8 and 16 do not have multi-touch screens, so you only
get to control one item at a time.  This can be a challenge for mixing a
band.

We bring the TF-1 out for anything more complex than the spoken word.
(or if we have a large panel of guests, since it has the Duggan
Automixer onboard.)  It's good, fairly intuitive to learn.  We have the
Dante card installed since our theaters here are all running Dante.

If you have the money, maybe get one of each?  A small touchmix for
those simple setups where you don't have much room, and the Yamaha for
when you're doing something more complex.

Steve L.

--
Stephen Litterst            Technical Operations Supervisor
litterst at udel.edu           Mitchell Hall