[SML] Scene Shop Band Saw

Alex Useted useted at gmail.com
Fri Mar 1 14:51:58 UTC 2019

I own and am a big fan of the Laguna 14-12. It's a 14" but basically is
Euro style, with the height of a riser block already built into the frame.
I cannot emphasize enough how satisfying it is to be able to rip with its
stock fence and actually have it behave the way you want. It's well worth
the $1100 list price. I lucked out and got one on Craigslist lightly used.
For a budget, I wouldn't go cheaper than the Jet or Grizzly. I've purchased
a Jet 14" for a theatre and it serves a scene shop very well. Get it when
they are doing their regular 10% discounts.

Overall I agree that a 14" with riser block (or equivalent) is the smallest
you should go. We make too many weird funky large things in theatre to be
limited on size if it's smaller. A 17" is nice if you can spare the
footprint, which really isn't much if it's on wheels.

-Alex