[SML] Rigging Renovation

JIM VOGEL james.vogel at wisc.edu
Thu Mar 7 19:05:31 UTC 2019

https://www.usitt.org/usitt-offers-secondary-schools-free-stage-rigging-inspections/

From: Stagecraft <stagecraft-bounces at theatrical.net> On Behalf Of PJ Veltri via Stagecraft
Sent: Thursday, March 7, 2019 12:50 PM
To: Stagecraft <stagecraft at theatrical.net>
Cc: PJ Veltri <pjveltri at gmail.com>
Subject: [SML] Rigging Renovation

Hi all,

I've recently been appointed the interim co-technical director for our school district in Metro-Detroit and was surprised in a meeting that was billed as a discussion of upgrading auditorium seating with a request from the superintendent to look into upgrading the space to get it into tip-top shape and at a level with the other four spaces in our district.

My main area of concern is the counterweight system and the method of install of the FOH truss which, from use and my experience, both need a total overhaul and the district seems willing to at least explore the idea. I was directed to "reach-out" to rigging companies for "support" and have absolutely no idea how to move forward on that, or really what that means.

Does anyone have any advice on what my next steps are? Do I call my favorite two companies and ask what their recommendations are? Do i get a few different inspectors in?

Thanks!

PJ Veltri
Asst. Technical Director
Grosse Pointe Public School System