[SML] Friend of (redacted)

Dougherty, Jim jdougher at middlebury.edu
Tue Mar 19 15:06:16 UTC 2019

Believe it or not, I agree with Herrick and Mike that we need to have a certain amount (i.e. a LOT) of initiative in this field; there's also a part that just likes to be the Devil's advocate.  Asking questions of people who know is part of taking initiative; some don't even do that. Further, I'd have different expectations from students depending on where they are in their course of study.  One of the questions I'll ask someone who comes to me for something obvious is, "Where have you looked so far?" or "What have you tried?".  It gets them thinking about the need to take steps on their own - admittedly, in a somewhat passive aggressive way.  Enabling without encouraging growth doesn't help them in the long run.

- Jim Dougherty
Middlebury College Theatre Dept