[SML] Friend of (redacted)

Herrick Goldman Herrick at HGLightingDesign.com
Wed Mar 20 02:09:59 UTC 2019

Here are her questions.  Keep in mind her initial email stated specifically “there is not much information on technical theater and she was hopeful I could help”.  My OP was that apparently our friends who publish such information (Sam I’m looking at you) were doing a poor job of it if this young lady couldn’t find information.

Her queries:

Thanks! I have done some research about the process of working with a show but I don't know much about how to get started so my biggest concerns and questions are related to that.
1. What are things to look for in a college that would prepare me for the field?
2. How do you get your name out there and start getting opportunities to work?
3. I've heard that for the past few years there has been a push for designers in every aspect of a show to have a graduate degree. Have you found that people who attended graduate school are more likely to be hired or do you think it doesn't really matter?
Any information at all is great so even if you don't answer all of them it still helps.

—-
Feel free to continue with your frustration.

Sent from my H-pad

Herrick Goldman
917-797-3624
www.HGlightingdesign.com