[SML] [External E-mail] Re: Vectorworks Question

Scott C. Parker scparker at gmail.com
Sat Nov 2 11:42:00 UTC 2019

Nancy,
As others have said, layers and classes to organize and turn things on/off
is great during your process. I'll take this one step further to reduce
your need to keep turning things on/off for printing or PDF output. You're
on the right track asking about separate sheets and viewports.

   - Create a separate sheet layer for each room configuration. Each sheet
   layer can have its own set of viewports, each with specific layers &
   classes visible. Each can also have its own title block that has info about
   the entire stack of drawings, and dedicated info about just that sheet.
   - When you are drawing in layer "in the round" you place all your stuff.
   Then create a viewport called "in the round seating" and place in in sheet
   layer "in the round." This viewport will have all the layers/classes that
   are visible shown.
      - Save View as "in the round."
      - Save View is a wonderful tool.
      - When you are drawing in the layer "3 quarter" you create a new
   viewport called "3 quarter" and place it in a new sheet layer called "3
   quarter", etc.
      - Save View as "3 quarter"
   - Rinse and repeat for all your planned layouts.
      - Save view for all.

When you want to go back and edit any of your layouts, pull down on the
save view button and choose the one you want. I see you mention you already
use Save Views, so this should be familiar. This turns on/off all the
layers & classes to show you just what was in the view when you saved it.

After you've edited anything in the various layouts, the viewports in all
the sheet layers will automatically update showing you what you've done,
but still respecting the layer/class settings. Thus, you don't need to
remember to turn things on/off to output.

Wait, there's more.
Symbols are your friend. Make a symbol for each seating riser, chair, stock
platform, etc. Use these symbols and place them as needed in the above
layouts. Since seating risers usually don't  change shape (just location)
VW will reference the individual symbols rather than multiple copies and
keep your file size smaller.

Layers vs. classes, in my view.
Layers are like sheets of drafting paper. If I were hand drafting this,
each sheet of paper would be for a different layout. The bottom layer of
paper has the architecture of the room.
Classes are to organize each pencil line on individual layers of paper.
Multiple pencil lines can live in a class. AND, multiple lines (each with
their own classes) and be grouped together and be assigned into a class for
the group.

Classes examined close up.
Basic platform has a lid, framing, legs, and maybe rotolocks to join them.
I would use four classes for this. 1. Platform-Lid, 2. Platform-Framing, 3.
Platform-Legs, 4. Platform-Rotolocks.
Sheet layers mentioned above taken further.
Sheet for your SM's to tape out the floor. Class Platform-Lid turned on;
others can be off.
Sheet for your stage crew to figure out how to assemble and lock together,
classes Platform-Lid and Platform-Rotolocks on. Others off.

If you save all of these sheet layers, classes, viewports, etc. in a
template file, each time you start a new show, it'll all be set up for you.

hth, Scott

On October 31, 2019 3:51:00 PM Nancy Christian via Stagecraft <
> stagecraft at theatrical.net> wrote:
>
> Hey Everyone,
>

> I use Vectorworks sparingly so I practically have to re-teach myself every
> time I work in it.
>
> I have a top view of our black box with all our seat risers.
>
> I want to create “duplicates” of this in various layouts. This means not
> only moving platforms but also removing so I can quickly show or print
> various versions of the possibilities without starting from scratch.
>
> I don’t want to create different files for each version.
>
> I’ve tried different saved views and different design layers but because
> I’m using the same class if items (platforms), once I save the file all
> those views become the same.
>

> Help! Do I have to do this as separate sheets or viewports? If so how?
>

> I could probably do this in software that I know better but I want this to
> be in scale and am forcing myself to learn Vectorworks more.
>

> Thank you for any assistance.
>

> *Nancy Christian*
>
> Technical Coordinator
>
> Performing Arts Center
>
> Victor Valley College

> *Stagecraft at theatrical.net* <Stagecraft%40theatrical.net>

Thanks,
Scott

Scott C. Parker
Lighting Designer http://scpld.com/ Studio 212-533-3430  Cell 718-757-6661
http://twitter.com/stageseminars
https://www.linkedin.com/in/lightingdesigner
USA829, IES, PLASA, USITT, ETCP certified Rigger & Electrician