[SML] Teaching technical theater and OSHA

Dudley, David H dhdudl at wm.edu
Fri Sep 13 22:55:04 UTC 2019

+++ for this.

We need to use different terminology when we talk about our work spaces.

In the academic world, we must make sure others respect our shops as the instructional laboratories that they are. And be treated by the PTB as that

We know what *we* mean when we talk about our shops, but “shop” has a very different, utilitarian meaning to the uneducated academic bureaucrat.

Many don’t understand what we do, or don’t consider what we do a valid educational endeavor, therefore our laboratories, our “shops”, are not on an equal footing with science labs or computer labs, yet they are where our students take practical experimentation and experience in a controlled environment, just like the other “laboratories” on a campus.

Part of our responsibility is to educate the other members of our academic communities as to what it is we do and how students benefit from the multi-disciplined, multifaceted, creative study that is Theatre.

Yes, we need to teach and keep our students in safe environments and practices. Yes, that means meeting OSHA and industry standards. But, students can’t learn if they can’t use the lab equipment.

Change from Scene Shop and Costume Shop to Scenic Construction Laboratory and Costume Construction Laboratory, and so forth, whenever you speak with anyone outside your department.

Sorry for the lengthy comment. This has been an ongoing problem for many years as new administrators come in and the education starts all over again.

Dave

Dave Dudley
College of William & Mary (retired)

Perhaps you need to recharacterize the theate as a teaching laboratory
for the theatrical arts? Or similar.? In educational terms it is no
different from a sculpture studio or a chemistry laboratory.

By concretely tying it to an educational mission to create employment -
ready graduates of a technical theatre program instead of as a wood and
metal working shop supporting the theatre product you might get the
facilities person to see the light.

Stuart